Kevin, who recently turned 90, a Golf NL Hall of Famer, grew up in the Forest Road area of St. John’s. Every summer Kevin along with his brothers Bill and Joe caddied at Bally Haly. He always liked golf but couldn’t afford to play at the time. Murphy also played other sports including soccer, hockey and rowing having rowed in 9 regattas at Quidi Vidi Lake.
Kevin was married in 1959 and bought a house next to the 18th tee at Bally Haly with a view of the 17th green from their kitchen window. He joined Bally Haly 3 years later with a goal of making a provincial golf team. He accomplished that goal by making the Amateur team in 1987 at the age of 54. He went on to make 8 Senior teams and came close to being Senior Champion in 2 of them.
Kevin spent his working career as a chartered accountant with several firms in St. John’s as well as spending 20 years with the crown agency Newfoundland and Labrador Computer Services retiring in 1989 to concentrate on his golfing career.
Congratulations Kevin !!!
1. What is your full name?
Joseph Kevin Murphy but I go by Kevin to all those who know me.
2. Where were your born?
3. Where do you live today?
Maypark Pl. St. John’s
4. What would people be surprised to learn about you?
That I have a 14 Handicap at age 90.
5. Are you a member of a golf club and what club?
I’ve been a member of Bally Haly 60 Years
6. Who do you regularly play golf with?
Walter Crotty, Graham Bennett, Ron Sparkes
7. What’s the favourite course you have ever played?
Grey Hawk, Scottsdale Arizona
8. What course would you like to play anywhere in the world?
Old Course St. Andrews, Scotland
9. Where and when did you start golfing?
I started golfing at Bally Haly in 1962.
10. Can you (briefly) tell us your most memorable golf experience?
I have several including being inducted in Golf NL Hall of Fame Sept 22, 1999; making the NL Amateur Team 1987; Senior Champion in 1997, Super Senior Champion 2002, 2003 ,2011.
11. Can you (briefly) tell us your funniest golf experience?
It was the Opening Ceremonies in BC 1995. Very hot day. A member of the BC team standing next to me said my sign fell down and pointed to the ground. Apparently, the Nfld. Badges issued to the players were glued together and it being so hot the front fell off.
12. What is your greatest golf accomplishment?
Representing NL at National Tournaments on ten (10) occasions
13. How do you like to relax?
Watching TV, gardening, fly fishing
14. What is your most treasured golf possession?
A putter I purchased in 1962. Often use it when the others fail.
15. What is your best quality on the golf course?
Not swearing or throwing clubs.
16. What 3 professional golfers would you like to join you at a dream dinner party?
Lee Trevino, Mike Weir, Cory Connors
17. Have you ever had a hole-in-one?
I had 3 hole in ones; 1974 Hole #5, 1994 Hole #11and in 2012 Hole #11 all at Bally Haly.
18.What is your best score ever?
My best score 67 at Bally Hally
At the ripe old age of 90 Kevin still continues to play as a member of Bally Holy Golf Club and just recently shot a 98 on the south course !!!